October 30, 2012

Interview with Artist….Janet Briggs

As much as I love to blog and frequent my own blog to see how my latest color-sketch dimensions are really playing out on a piece….I’ve become quite sick of me!!

To infuse this blog with some entertainment and creativity I’ve asked 5 artists from varying backgrounds to be interviewed throughout this month. I’m very excited about their work and their agreeing to be put on the spot here.

P1050749 25

To conclude my October Interview series I’d like you to meet a very special Flickr-Blogger friend, Janet Briggs.  When I first found Janet she was participating in so many on-line art classes that she was a walking-talking-artsy advertisement.  She oozed creativity and color.  But where my twin (we share the same birthday) and I differ, is she is drawn to purple and I avoid purple at all costs.  She makes it work, and I make it muddy!

Without further ado, here’s Janet about Janet.

1. What word best describes your art/style?
I'm never sure how to describe my art. If I had to come up with one word it would have to be playful. I hope my art makes people smile and feel good. I'm not a very "heavy" person. I don't dig deep and think about what I'm creating as much as I just do it. I don't plan out my art. I just jump in and start playing.

 

2. What advice/quote do you respond best to?
I love the quote "art enables us to find ourselves and lose ourselves at the same time" by Thomas Merton. That's what happens to me when I'm making art. I find bits of myself I didn't know were there and I can completely lose myself in art.


                                         Georgia (above)

3. How has your work evolved?
I've always loved art but for a huge part of my life I convinced myself that I couldn't draw or paint. When I began drawing again back in the mid-90's it was mostly copying a face from a magazine...I didn't feel comfortable drawing something of my own creation. After taking many online classes and having the support of the online art community I now love to draw and paint. I keep several art journals going at once, and also several collages. Mixed media is perfect for me since I like to play with all sorts of art supplies. Now I'll try just about anything.



4. What interests do you have other than "art"?
Most of my interests are creative in some way...beading, crochet, knitting (at a beginner level!)...I love to read, and I love baking although I'm not an expert at it. I mostly bake to satisfy my sweet tooth. Walking is something I enjoy and this time of year is great for that. Getting out in nature is inspiring.



5. What is your favorite blog post or piece of art that you'd like to share?
I'm not sure I have a favorite blog post although I always have fun with my Academy Awards posts each year. I've been in such an art slump recently that I don't have anything new to share but one of my favorites is Calypso...and I also like Georgia.


                                    Calypso (above)

See what I mean about Janet?  Versatile! Colorful! Talented! Fun! Free-Spirit!  You know….we all have our role models and Janet is one of mine!  Thank you Janet for sharing your work and your art with us today. 

Please check out the links below which will lead you to more of Janet’s work.

website: http://jkbees.blogspot.com 
          or http://jkbeesartopia.blogspot.com
etsy: http://www.etsy.com/people/jkbees?ref=si_pr
twitter: http://twitter.com/jkbees
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jkbees/
pinterest: http://pinterest.com/jkbees/

2 comments:

Janet said...

Thank you for including me in your interviews. It's an honor to be among such talented artists.

Eden said...

My pleasure! It's been a real treat!! I love your art and versatility :D

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
By day...I work in the Healthcare field, where every .. i.. has to be dotted and every ..t.. has to be crossed. This blog is the place where I can let myself go and have some fun. I am on a journey. A journey I started a long time ago, but it has been a bit sidetracked with Navy Wife relocations and raising kids. I finally see the light at the end of the tunnel and I have got some time for me. No, I will not be one of those moms walking around the house with Empty Nest Syndrome, I have got way too much to do, to learn, to create. Sure, once the kids are gone I will miss them....but hey, there is always the phone, the email, the texting and the Plane tickets! I love my life and my family and It is fun moving into this new stage. I am into Digital Scrapbooking, photography, journaling, Art Journaling and Drawing. I am a do-it-yourselfer and I am trying to teach myself to draw. I am finding that it takes a lot of patience, lots of practice and a good eraser! And if you're really curious there's a 3 part Interview by Eileen: HERE All the best, Eden