April 29, 2010

What are you doing for Derby?

If you live in my neck of the woods, this is the statement of the day? Actually for the month. With the Kentucky Derby on your home turf, it’s a huge deal around here! The Derby festivities kicked off 2 weeks ago with “Thunder over Louisville” and a must-see air show, followed by a Hot Air balloon race, Steamboat race on the Ohio river, a mini-marathon run, Pegasus float Parade, a Bed-race and a bunch of Chow-wagons to feed you throughout town. And I’m sure I’ve forgotten something, too. It’s actually treated like a Holiday here. Did you know there is no school the day before Derby? What a deal, wish I grew up here!!

The one thing that really surprises me, is that I’ve never even stepped foot inside of Churchill Downs. I’ve gone to horse races at Longacres Racetrack in Seattle and Arlington Racetrack in Chicago. But that’s the extent of it. This doesn’t really bother me much since I’m pretty clueless about horses and I’m not much of a gambler. We do go to the occasional Derby parties and have a good time. These parties usually have an informal bookie where you can put your bet in on the 6th race. This year, I’m pulling for Dublin at 12-1 (in honor of my Dad’s mom being from Ireland).

Diane

Diane- the Derby Jockey……She loves her sport!! Why else would she want to be on a horse that’s got a mind of his own and weighs over 2000 pounds? Gotta love it!!

I’m such a little collector!! I thought it was time to photograph all my little birdies together. Now, this is when I really miss Renee. Because she belongs in this collection too! She resides in the little tiny mail-art journal! I hope she’s having fun! Good Lord, I’m sure she’ll tell ya if she isn’t!!

3 comments:

Eden said...

Well.....I wasn't psychic Super Saver won.

Mr. Spoqui said...

OW! I love your funny birds!

Janet said...

Your birdie collection is fantastic! You have a great imagination.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
By day...I work in the Healthcare field, where every .. i.. has to be dotted and every ..t.. has to be crossed. This blog is the place where I can let myself go and have some fun. I am on a journey. A journey I started a long time ago, but it has been a bit sidetracked with Navy Wife relocations and raising kids. I finally see the light at the end of the tunnel and I have got some time for me. No, I will not be one of those moms walking around the house with Empty Nest Syndrome, I have got way too much to do, to learn, to create. Sure, once the kids are gone I will miss them....but hey, there is always the phone, the email, the texting and the Plane tickets! I love my life and my family and It is fun moving into this new stage. I am into Digital Scrapbooking, photography, journaling, Art Journaling and Drawing. I am a do-it-yourselfer and I am trying to teach myself to draw. I am finding that it takes a lot of patience, lots of practice and a good eraser! And if you're really curious there's a 3 part Interview by Eileen: HERE All the best, Eden